U.S. News


How Should You Repay Someone Who Was Wrongfully Convicted?

In some states, those who are wrongly convicted are compensated. In other states, they get nothing.
Posted at 12:59 PM, Dec 29, 2016

Drew Whitley was wrongfully convicted of second-degree murder and spent almost 18 years in prison.

"A good place to stay, food to eat and transportation — that's all I really want out of life," Whitley said. "I don't want to be filthy rich or a millionaire or whatever."

He got nothing from the state of Pennsylvania when he was exonerated.

Some states offer $5,000 to $80,000 a year.

People who have been wrongfully convicted can also sue the state for more money than the allotted amount.

But in other states, those who are wrongfully convicted get nothing.

Thirty-one states and Washington, D.C., have statutes for financial compensation. Montana provides educational aid only.

What do you think is fair compensation for those who are wrongfully convicted?