U.S. News


Cutest Puppy Ever Saves Entire Family

Hunter, a newly adopted 3-month-old Husky mix, saved his family from what could have been a very deadly situation.
Posted at 7:44 AM, Mar 13, 2014

People, brace yourselves. What could be the cutest puppy we've ever seen is also a hero. Meet Hunter — adorable dog by day, and apparently, guardian by night. 

​REPORTER: "Just two weeks into his new home, 3-month-old Husky mix Hunter knew something wasn't right. It was the middle of the night and the McLartys and their three kids were sound asleep."

JILL MCLARTY: "He was crying and crying." (Via WJBK)

Jill McLarty took Hunter out, thinking he just had to use the doggy restroom, but once back inside, he started running in circles and lead his owner to the kitchen.

JILL MCLARTY: "So I followed him and I turned on the kitchen light and he was sitting next to the kitchen stove, just crying. So I glanced at it and that's when I noticed the burner on, no flames, no nothing, just the gas coming out." (Via YouTube / Michigan Humane)

McLarty says she thinks the stove was on about six hours, and since the stove was on the lowest setting, that could be why the flame went out. And Hunter potentially saved his owners' lives.

Forbes reports every year in the United States, up to 30,000 people are sickened by accidental carbon monoxide poisoning. 

" ... and approximately 500 people die, many in their own home. Carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless, and tasteless. It cannot be detected by humans without the help of a detector."

Or a doggy detector. And The Michigan Humane Society, where Hunter was adopted, couldn't be more proud, even featuring his story on its webpage.

Tim McLarty said, as cliche as it is, the life you save may just be the life that saves yours. That was definitely the case for this Michigan family.