Science and Tech


Brain-eating amoeba death possibly linked to sinus cleansing

A person in Florida died from a brain-eating amoeba that may be linked to tap water used to cleanse their sinuses.
Sinus cleaning bottles
Posted at 1:05 PM, Mar 03, 2023

A person in Florida died from a brain-eating amoeba that may be linked to using tap water to rinse their sinuses, health officials said.

The Florida Department of Health did not provide details about the individual. However, it issued a warning in February to residents in Charlotte County. 

Health officials say people should use distilled or sterile water only when making sinus rinse solutions. The agency notes that tap water can be should for at least one minuted and cooled before sinus rinsing. 

Photo of Sebastian DeLeon, who survived a brain-eating amoeba infection.

How a Florida teen survived a rare brain-eating amoeba infection

Only three other people in the U.S. have survived a Naegleria fowleri infection in the past 50 years.


People cannot get this type of infection by drinking tap water, health officials said. 

This type of infection is rare. According to the Centers for Disease Control, there have been just over 150 brain-eating amoeba infections reported in the U.S. since 1962. Most of the people got the infection from recreational water areas, but several cases were linked to performing nasal irrigation using contaminated tap water.

The Florida Department of Health said people should watch out for symptoms after swimming in warm lakes or rivers or after using a sinus rinse. Symptoms include fever, headache, nausea, disorientation, and nausea. 

Jennifer McClain's daughter died from a rare brain-eating amoeba.

A grieving mother wants to warn you about this rare but deadly amoeba

Jennifer McClain's daughter Kelsey died after becoming infected with a brain-eating amoeba in 2015.